Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Whys and Wherefores

(Edited ex post facto)

I created this account as a separate entity from my main Blogger account and various personal web spaces. I began writing with a pseudonym, because at the time I wasn't quite sure where I was going with it; I thought I might be writing some sensitive/private things that I might not care for friends, colleagues, and relatives to see. Very quickly, it turned into a place to think out loud about becoming a Freemason - that was really the issue that prompted me to start this up, but I didn't think it was going to be the dominating one.

Still, using a fake name didn't feel quite right... For the time being I have settled on using my real first initials, which happened to be the first initials of my pseudonym. It is not about having something to hide or being ashamed/embarrassed, it's about being sensitive to the fact that I will be writing about interactions with other people and organizations, and I would rather be vague about the identities of the people involved than self-censor.

Here is most of what I wrote originally:

At age 32, the realities of adulthood are starting to set in. I'm not talking about the music getting too loud, lamenting my high school or college glory days, or agonizing over the couple of grey hairs that have shown up in my beard. I'm talking about finding oneself removed from the built-in support networks of a place like college or high school, and close enough to middle age that horizons don't seem quite as wide-open as they did in my twenties.

Not that I'm preoccupied with death - just that I've had a growing sense over the last couple of years that it's time to stop screwing around. I don't rightly know what that entails, but I have some ideas, and it is here that I intend to explore some of them.

No comments: