Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Beach Reading

You have to love modern commerce. Last month I won a $25 gift grocery store gift card in a raffle held at my town's Old Home Day celebration. Twenty five dollars is twenty five dollars, but let's face it: as long as you're gainfully employed, picking out free groceries doesn't exactly feel like a spree.

However, the grocery store does happen to have a fine selection of gift cards! I was able to transmogrify my winnings into a $25 Barnes & Noble card, with which I purchased a copy of Christopher Hodapp's Solomon's Builders. It promises to be a very enjoyable read, and I'm saving it for a long-overdue trip to the Maine coast this weekend.

The book is marketed quite heavily towards the hordes of Dan Brown fans eagerly awaiting the sequel to The Da Vinci Code, and it's nice to think that people who buy it for that reason will learn some actual facts about Freemasonry, the founding fathers, and Washington D.C. in spite of themselves.

No comments: