Monday, July 2, 2007

Lull

Since I began subscribing to RSS feeds of a dozen or so Masonic weblogs over the last several weeks, there have usually been half a dozen entries to peruse throughout the course of a day.

Yesterday and today, though, not a single post. It is curiously like the fabled seven minute conversational lull. (A factoid of dubious provenance, perhaps fabricated as a means to kick-start said lulled conversations.)

For my own part, I think I am settling into the July-and-August waiting game. I attended the aforementioned pancake breakfast on Saturday morning, where I got to see a lovely 95 year-old Masonic hall and talk to several more brothers. I had a good time and left with my excitement renewed... but also with a bit of a glum outside-the-Wonka-Factory feeling. I will definitely be returning to visit once I have a dues card, and I was also pleased to see that there's a Royal Arch chapter which meets there.

Speaking of looking ahead to visiting other lodges and exploring the York Rite: At this point I find myself qualifying a lot of thoughts with the phrase, "but that's putting the cart ahead of the horse." I am conflicted about thinking ahead: on the one hand, I don't want to just assume that I will be inducted. On the other hand, I have no reason to think that I won't be.

Deep down, though, I must admit to myself that I really have been assuming I will be inducted... it is not an unreasonable assumption given the fraternity's eagerness for new members and my good standing as a citizen/among the friends and colleagues I listed as references. I think the qualifying statements are more to temper my confidence and enthusiasm in hopes that I won't come across as outright brash.

No comments: